California Healthline: Home Care Overtime Decision Leaves $200 Million Question Mark in State Budget

by David Gorn

Last week’s decision by the state to drop a plan to pay home health workers overtime wages has left a gap in the governor’s budget proposal.

U.S. District Court Judge Richard Leon ruled on Wednesday last week that only Congress has the authority to award extra pay to home care workers. The following day, California officials announced they were dropping the state’s planned overtime rule.

That means there now is an extra $200 million sitting in the governor’s proposed budget, a sum that’s expected to grow to $300 million in next year’s 2016-17 budget plan.  

“It’s a pretty big-ticket item. That’s almost $200 million general fund this year, and another $300 million the year after that,” said Marty Omoto, executive director of California Disability Community Action Network, an advocacy group for the disabled.

Continue reading here: http://www.californiahealthline.org/capitol-desk/2015/1/home-care-overtime-decision-leaves-200-million-question-in-state-budget

Comments
One Response to “California Healthline: Home Care Overtime Decision Leaves $200 Million Question Mark in State Budget”
  1. Rosita Whittaker says:

    How about giving IHSS providers a raise in their wages??

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

  • LAAAC is managed by St. Barnabas Senior Services; Funded, in part, by Archstone Foundation.
  • St. Barnabas Senior Services

%d bloggers like this: