Activities For Senior Citizens: Seniors On Facebook Building Healthy Brains
Activities for Senior Citizens: Seniors on Facebook! I wholeheartedly promote the combination of seniors on computers and the Internet as a method of sustaining a high quality of life for my peers, especially in the area of memory improvement. On Facebook you will find many activities for senior citizens, as well as exceptional groups related to everything you can conceive. It is quite possible that you will locate alumni groups for your high school, people who grew up in your home town, or even your family! If not, you can start a senior community of your own, or any other kind of group you like! Seniors on Facebook have a number of groups.
Boomers and Social Media is a research report from eMarketer.com that analyzes findings from May, 2009. That information found that 47% of all baby boomers who use the Internet have a profile on at least one social networking web site. That’s an expansion of 15% from 2008. Facebook seems to be the social media site preferred by baby boomers as well as the WWII generation. (via New Report Shows Boomers, Seniors Like Social Media.)
I have passionately promoted seniors on computers and the Internet as a great way of perpetuating a high quality of life for my peers, especially in the sphere of memory improvement. I, myself, possess a Facebook account and a variety of other social media accounts, too. I monitor my Facebook page just about every day because it helps me maintain contact with individuals I know all over the world. In truth, I have never met some of them face-to-face, and others I haven’t seen for fifty years or more!
On Facebook you will run into many Activities for Senior Citizens, as well as special groups about everything you can imagine. It is probable that you will find alumni groups for your high school, people who grew up in your home town, or even your family! If not, you can begin a senior community of your own, or any other kind of group you like! Seniors on Facebook have a number of groups, and I belong to a variety of of them myself.
If you are reading this it is probable that you are a computer user. As such, you will already be aware of the advantages to be gained by owning and utilizing a personal computer. However, you most probably also know that many older folks are heedless of the things they can do with a computer, or are manifestly put off by the idea of using computers. This is a problem for both them and for us, because we want the interactions we might have with them. In fact, if you are the child or grandchild of a senior who doesn’t use a computer or the Internet, you will almost undoubtedly profit from providing that person a hard copy of this article!
Here are a few of the capabilities of Facebook that make it so great for seniors:
- The Wall is a location on each Facebook user’s profile page that allows acquaintances to leave messages for the user to see.
- Photos, where Facebook members can upload albums and photos. Privacy settings can be established for individual albums, limiting the groups of users that can see an album. For example, the privacy of an album can be set so that only the member’s friends can see the album, while the privacy of another album can be set so that any Facebook users can see it. Another feature of the Photos application is the ability to “tag”, or label users in a photo. For instance, if a snapshot contains a user’s friend, then the user can tag the friend in the photo. This sends a notification to the friend that they have been tagged, and provides them a link to see the photo.
- Status, which allows user’s to inform their friends of their location and actions. Depending on privacy settings, anyone who can see a user’s profile can also view that user’s Wall. Facebook also allows users to post attachments to the Wall.
- News Feed, which appears on every user’s homepage and announces information including profile changes, future events, and birthdays of the user’s friends, if users opt to allow this.
- Facebook Notes, a blogging feature that allows tags and embeddable images.
- Gifts , which allows users to send virtual gifts and cards to their friends
- Marketplace, which lets users post free classified ads.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR